Wednesday, July 21, 2010

FT Alphaville alternative?

 

One of the things I’ve come to enjoy during the last few years was FT Alphaville. It’s a nice blog with good market insights, and you could create a free FT account and sign up to breaking news, setup alerts, and my favorite, the “6am Cut”.

 

After running this service for free for 2 years, FT decided it’s time to squeeze some more money out of it. So for £1.25/week you can subscribe to something that used to be free. FT calls this a “terrific offer”.

 

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2010/07/13/284961/the-6am-cut-a-special-offer/

 

The 6am cut usually does not have the full news story, it’s just a news brief. It contains links to the FT news item, and you need to be a fully paid FT subscriber to be able to read the stories anyways.

 

I know, nothing is free. But charging someone to show him a snippet of what he would see when he pays more, is a bit silly. I just don’t get it.

 

Good thing we’re living in a free society and there are other options. I just haven’t found a good alternative  yet and I’m open to suggestions. I’m sure I’ll find one. Or as Hendrix put it in Red House “if my girl doesn’t love me no more, I know her sister will”. You think WSJ will start a free daily briefing? Yeah right!

No comments: